Monday, July 20, 2009

Witnessing for Dummies

Excuse me while I step up onto my soapbox...

There is something that really bugs me about Christians. Christians who do door-to-door evangelism, and when I tell them I am already a Christian and attend church regularly, they continue their speech as if they didn't hear me!!

This happened today- some Jehovahs Witnesses stop by.

The worst situation was one time when this man came from the Baptist church. He began his speech, and I immediately told him that I was a Christian, and he continued his speech. He began to mention Bible verses, and I began to quote verses that I knew that were relevant to what he was saying. He still continued his speech! So I continued to discuss my relationship with God and Bible verses, etc. Finally, he invited me to attend his church after I told him I had a church I regularly attend!

Brothers and sisters, sharing the good news about Christ is one of the most important things a person can do in life. I want to share the goodness of Christ with as many people as I can and do whatever I can to draw more people to Him. But, folks, let's not be idiots! If you knock on someone's door and they tell you they are a Christian and you continue your speech, then 1-you don't really care about the person anyway, you're just out to make a speech, since obviously you weren't listening to what the person said; 2- you are insulting that person's intelligence, as if they were either lying to you or not "saved" enough; and 3- you are mismanaging your time and energy...wouldn't it make more sense to move on to someone who is not a Christian rather than waste your time trying to "save" someone who is already "saved"?

Alright, I'm stepping off my soapbox now... may I live in a way that draws people to Christ without being a robot! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment